"I cannot live without books" Thomas Jefferson
Linebaugh Library Foundation was created in 2001 as a means to fund long-term projects beyond the scope of available public monies, manage endowments, and encourage gifts, thereby meeting the needs and desires of Rutherford County's population.
The Foundation's goals are to enhance library services, be recognized as a venue for potential donors, maximize return on investments, and have a vehicle in place to aid in future capital projects, an example of which would be branch libraries in growth areas of our county.
The Foundation is equipped to receive private and corporate contributions by cash, single gift or annual gift; transfer of stock or personal or real property of value; designation as beneficiary under life insurance; bequests under wills; transfer or conveyance of any interest in property. Linebaugh Library Foundation is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation established as a public benefit corporation.
Rutherford County Library System [RCLS] is operated by the Joint Board of Directors and funded by Rutherford County and the cities of Murfreesboro, Smyrna and Eagleville.
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best return" Benjamin Franklin
Look what Rutherford County Library System accomplished in 2015-2016 alone!
- RCLS contains 260,819 items and services a population of 254,632
- 475,829 people visited our four locations or bookmobile.
- 1,084,849 items were checked out at LPLS libraries.
- 219,002 e-audio.e-books/digital magazines were downloaded over the past year.
- 277,871 users accessed our databases.
- 311,419 visitors used library computers with 1,164 attending computer classes.
- 61,270 people attended programs
Imagine what can be done in the future!
- Meet the community's increasing need for information.
- More branch libraries to enrich resources for our growing population.
- Increase computer and Internet access for library patrons.
- Enhance collections and technology at existing libraries.
"Knowledge and human power are synonymous" Francis Bacon
The Foundation is equipped to receive private and corporate contributions by cash, single gift or annual gift; transfer of stock or personal or real property of value; designation as beneficiary under life insurance; bequests under wills; transfer or conveyance of any interest in property.
Currently, the Foundation is working on raising funds for operating expenses for the new Technology Engagement Center [TEC]. The TEC will be located on the Hobgood Elementary School campus and is scheduled to open early 2018.
For gifts of securities or other assets, please contact Rita Shacklett at 615-893-4131, ext. 112.
Invest in our community's future by allocating your contribution to:
- Expansion into new branch libraries and community technology centers.
- Named Funds ($20,000 minimum) (e.g., Lasseter Fund).
Your generous past support helped build a stronger, more comprehensive library system. Please continue to make a difference in the community with your financial donation. You may mail or bring in person your completed Donation Form to the Linebaugh Public Library.
- Unrestricted Fund to be used by the Foundation Board for special projects.
- Other (A specific project you would like to create and support.) Please contact Rita Shacklett at 615-893-4131, ext. 112.
"Reading: the key which admits us to the whole world of thought and fancy and imagination." James Russell Lowell
Jamie Burriss, Secretary
Helene Poulan Colvin
Mike Pirtle, Vice-Chair
Ben Weatherford, Chair
Scott Walker, Treasurer
The Linebaugh Library Foundation meets in the Linebaugh Library Board Room at 4:30 p.m. on the third Wednesday of the following months: January, April, August, and October. If you are interested in serving on the Foundation Board, please contact Rita Shacklett at 615-893-4131, x112 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Donations may be tax deductible. Linebaugh Library Foundation is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation established as a public benefit corporation.
Rutherford County Library System is operated by the Library Board and funded by Rutherford County and the cities of Murfreesboro, Smyrna and Eagleville.
Linebaugh Library Foundation
105 West Vine Street
Murfreesboro, TN 37130
Friends of Linebaugh Library [FOLL] is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization formed in 1981 to promote the interest and welfare of Linebaugh Public Library as a cultural, educational, and recreational asset to the city of Murfreesboro and Rutherford County, including contributing to reading engagement in the local community via donations of books and educational materials to non-profit, community, and governmental agencies.
As a member of The Friends of Linebaugh you give your time and talents, but you get some great benefits:
- Admittance to the Preview Book Sales
- Email notices of library events
- Email notices of Friends book sales and special events
- The chance to raise money for your library
As a Friend Volunteer, you can:
- Help with book sales, sort books, set up, act as cashier
- Volunteer at any library location with flexible hours and a variety of duties
- Work at the FOLL Bookstore, the library store for gently used books
- Raise money in the community
- Inform the public about the library
FRIENDS ACCOMPLISHMENTS in 2018
- Spent $528 to provide library patrons with Book Pages
- Membership luncheon in February 2018 with award-winning author Ariel Lawhon
- Used $5615 plus $658 from the Lifetime Members monies to purchase a Scannx Book Scan Center Overhead for the Historical Research room to replace its worn out copier and a cart with a ladder for the Linebaugh staff to help with shelving
- Donated $4,000 for the Summer Reading Program
- Thanked our Board of Directors, bookstore, and Linebaugh volunteers with lunch at Cheddars in July.
- Approved the August, 2018 Revision of the FOLL Constitution and Bylaws and the 2019 slate of officers.
- Paid for a total of 3 insurance policies to ensure that all board members, volunteers and buyers at the bookstore are covered for accidents and liability.
- In August began paying $500 a month for 3 years toward the TEC utilities.
- Provided lunch for Staff Development Day in October for Linebaugh, MGL, and TEC staff.
- Provided $650 for supplies for holiday events at Linebaugh Library
- Provided $10 for each employee of Linebaugh Library, MGL, and the TEC for Christmas
- Brought author Shannon Messenger for Pen Pal events in six schools and an event at Linebaugh Library for a total cost of $4,000. Approx. 120 attended the Library event, our most ever. It was great to see the wide age range, costumed students, and enthusiasm.
- Provided $10 for each employee of Linebaugh Library, MGL, and the TEC for Christmas
- Ended the year nearly 203 members; donated $105 to Linebaugh Library in memory of 3 Life Members – Susan Bragg, Bertha Chrizberg, and Shelley Graham.
- Held 8 public sales and 2 member bookstore sales as well as on-going $1 a bag sales in the library, raising $ for library projects, of $ over last year
- Had thousands of volunteer hours in the bookstore.
Linda Vile, President
Patricia Freeman, Vice President
Antoinette van Zelm, Secretary
Jay Fusco, Treasurer
Friends of Smyrna Library (FOSL) is a 501© (3) nonprofit organization formed to promote the Smyrna Library and its activities through special programs, exhibits, and materials beyond regular resources of the library.
If you would like to volunteer with the Friends of Smyrna Library, please fill out our Volunteer Survey Form.
Contact FOSL at friendsofsmyrnalibrary1987
For information about Smyrna Friends, contact the Smyrna Library at (615) 459-4884.
Your Little Friends Library will be given to you assembled, primed and ready for finishing. You will complete it with exterior paint, roofing and any unique decoration you choose.
Decide where you can legally and safely install the Library on your property. Contact the Town of Smyrna Codes Department to verify that the location you have chosen is within code requirements. The location should have a lot of foot traffic and be highly visible to anyone nearby.
Identify at least one person to be responsible for the LFL. This person is:
- Responsible for upkeep and maintenance of their LFL, keeping it clean, dry and free of debris.
- Responsible in keeping the LFL supplied with books.
- Responsible for installation of the LFL in the location provided to FOSL. If you decide to mount LFL on a post, it is your responsibility to supply the materials needed. Mounting post information and instructions are readily available on the internet.
- Responsible for providing the FOSL Board contact information for owner of the LFL, including telephone number, address email.
Note: If needed, Friends of Smyrna Library will provide a selection of books to stock your LFL upon installation. Additional books for placement will be the responsibility of the LFL owner.
Brittany Stevens - President
Rebecca Lucier Cowan - Vice President
Sherri Allen - Secretary
Joel Parks - Treasurer
Helping cut crafts out for story time programs
Helping call patrons about book holds
Serving on a committee:
Serving on the Board in the future
Helping to man the FOSL booth at Depot Days to promote our organization
Helping to write grants
Helping to man the Annual Scholastic Book Fair
This involves handling money, charge cards, checks and running the credit card machine
- Individual members provided Halloween Candy for Story Time Treat or Trick - October 2017
- $500 for Halloween in the Park – Candy and Booth Rent – October 2017
- Presented a Little Friends Library “blank canvas’ library to BSA Pack 380 (Smyrna Primary) - October 2017
- FOSL Board members provided drinks & desserts for RCLS Board Meeting at SPL - November, 2017
- FOSL members manned the 2017 Smyrna Public Library Scholastic Book Fair - Nov./Dec. 2017
- $20 Gift Cards for all SPL Staff for Christmas along with special breakfast treats - December 15, 2017
- Presented a Little Friends Library “blank canvas” to Smyrna West - December 20, 2017
- Presented a finished Little Friends Library done in a Dr. Seuss motif to SOAC - December 20,2017
- 2017 Winter Reading Program - $1,000 December, 2017
- 2018 Tenn-Share Movie License Renewal- $740 - January 2018.
- 2018 United for Libraries Membership
- 2018 Friends of Tennessee Libraries Membership
- 2018 Summer Reading Program – $2300 January 2018
- Received $5000 Grant from Smyrna Rotary for SUSL Phrase 3 Projects - February 4, 2018
- Presented a Little Friends Library “blank canvas” to Smyrna Head Start at John Coleman Elementary - March 13, 2018
- Individual members donated candy and plastic eggs for the Youth Services Dept. Story Time Egg Hunts - March, 2018
- FOTL Recognition Award-$100 - May 2018
- Members provided treats for SPL staff during National Library Week
- Received $2,102.57 Grant from MTEC for SPL Bathrooms Remodel – August 2018
- FOSL members manned the FOSL Booth at 2018 Depot Days - September 2018
Established in 2017, Friends of Eagleville Bicentennial Public Library works to support and enhance the library. Raising money, giving their time and talents, telling others about the library -- that's what the Friends of Eagleville Library is all about.
Patti Smotherman, President
Belinda Woodson, Vice-President
Katie Taylor, Secretary/Treasurer