Smyrna Free Tax Preparation
VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) FREE Tax Preparation
Walk-ins Only. First come, first served.
Bring Your Documents!
- Photo ID - If filing jointly (offers highest refund in 95% filings) both must be present and both must have Photo ID.
- Original copies of Social Security Cards or ITINs for everyone on the tax return, including dependents
- Proof of Income (W2 for each employer, 1099s, Social Security Income, Retirement Income, Unemployment, Interest, Cash Income etc.)
- Proof of Expenses if Claiming Any (Childcare, education expenses, itemized receipt from post-secondary institution, medical, property tax, written record of mileage, charitable donation receipts, itemized deductions, etc.) Please total any business expenses before arriving.
- Proof of Health Insurance - If you have coverage through Healthcare.gov, commonly known as "Obamacare", form 1095-A is needed.
- Direct deposit information (for fastest refund) - Bank account number and routing number are required.
Good to bring:
- Identity Protection Pin Number if you have been issued one from the IRS or had your identity stolen.
- Last year’s tax return.
Who Does NOT Qualify for FREE Tax Prep?
- Returns with household income over $66,000
- Schedule C with losses - No business loss
- Business expenses more than $25,000
- Complicated and Advanced Schedule D (capital gains and losses)
- Rental or Farm Income
- Certain travel and auto deductions
- Depreciation or business with inventory
- Certain other limitations on complicated tax law. This can vary from site to site.
For full list of locations in Middle TN area dial 2-1-1 or 1-800-318-9335 toll free or visit yourlocaluw.org/VITA
Services for Spanish Only Speakers: Conexion Americas 2195 Nolensville Pike, Nashville TN 37211 Ph# 615-320-5152
Social Security Office locations:
- Rutherford County - 2836 Saint Patrick Ct, Murfreesboro TN 37128 Ph# 1-866-593-3112
- Davidson County - 120 Athens Way, Nashville TN 37228 Ph# 1-877-808-5461